An international center for ophthalmology treatment and research, Mass. Eye and Ear is the primary teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School’s Department of Ophthalmology, and is consistently recognized as one of the nation’s top hospitals for eye care. We founded subspecialty training in the areas of cornea, retina, and glaucoma, and have pioneered tools and treatments for numerous diseases and conditions, ranging from retinal detachment to age-related macular degeneration to corneal scarring. Our patient-centered core values focus on delivering the highest quality of care through education, innovation, and service excellence.
Whether you see one of our physicians at the main campus in Boston or at one of the convenient satellite locations, you’ll experience the highest quality care from world-renowned specialists.
Services range from routine eye exams to treatment for complex vision and eye-related problems. We also provide New England's only 24/7 Emergency Department for urgent and emergent eye problems.
Mass. Eye and Ear is adjacent to Mass General Hospital (MGH), one of the nation’s top-ranked hospitals, allowing for a unique alliance. The MGH Department of Ophthalmology is staffed by Mass. Eye and Ear physicians under the direction of Chief and Chair Joan W. Miller, MD, and gives patients seamless access to the most innovative care available anywhere in the world.
- Comprehensive Ophthalmology and Cataracts
- Eye Pathology
- Inherited Retinal Disorders
- Laser Vision Correction/Refractive Surgery
- Ocular Immunology and Uveitis
Our faculty are accelerating research and discovery through Harvard Ophthalmology multidisciplinary institutes and subspecialty-based centers of excellence
- Mass Eye and Ear clinicians provide comprehensive and subspecialty care to MGH patients in outpatient, inpatient consultation, surgical, and emergency care settings. Our 24/7 Emergency Department is a regional resource for urgent care and trauma, and our clinicians collaborate in the care of patients with ocular cancers and burns.
- Mass Eye and Ear’s dedicated Same-Day Service triages urgent and emergent eye concerns of MGH patients as a more affordable and efficient alternative to Emergency Department care.
- Mass Eye and Ear ophthalmologists provide comprehensive and subspecialty care and inpatient consultations to patients at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital, including 24/7 emergency eye care and trauma coverage.
- Patients also receive the full range of ophthalmic care, including dedicated Same-Day Service, urgent consultation, and evaluations and surgery at Mass Eye and Ear-Longwood, staffed by Mass Eye and Ear clinicians.
- Clinicians staff the comprehensive pediatric ophthalmology and adult strabismus service at Mass Eye and Ear and Mass General Hospital.
- Mass Eye and Ear ophthalmologists provide subspecialty care in glaucoma, cornea, and pediatric retina surgery in partnership with Children's.
Massachusetts General Hospital
Brigham and Women’s Hospital
Boston Children’s Hospital
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
VA Boston Healthcare System
VA Maine Healthcare System
Cambridge Health Alliance
Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai, India
LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India
Shanghai Eye and ENT Hospital: Fudan University, Shanghai, China