Social Work Department
The Social Work and Discharge Planning Department of Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary is staffed by licensed clinical social workers and continuing care registered nurses. As part of the health care team, we help patients and their families understand and cope with medical, psychological, social and practical concerns related to their illness and treatment.
We are available to support you throughout your care at Mass. Eye and Ear in the outpatient and inpatient services. We provide information, counseling and referral services.
- Founded in 1907, our department is the second oldest social work department in a medical setting in the United States.
- We are available to you during your hospital stay and before, during and even after your discharge.
- We understand that coming to a hospital can be stressful and medical issues have an impact on other areas of your life.
- We understand the impact of illness on patients and their families.
- We are here to help you find solutions for many problems, from daily issues to life’s most challenging situations.
If you are or will be a Mass. Eye and Ear patient and would like assistance with preadmission procedures, transportation or arrangements for home care services following your hospital stay, we will be happy to help you. Many families find it worthwhile to contact us before hospitalization.
Communications are private and confidential. This means that in most instances your hospital social worker is not permitted to disclose information obtained from you to anyone other than your health care team without your consent. If you have questions about confidentiality and its limitations, our department will be glad to discuss this further.
Our Social Workers and Continuing Care Nurses are available to provide you and/or your loved ones with support and counseling relative to all aspects of illness or injury, from practical considerations about aftercare to dealing with family problems, emotional issues, worries and concerns. Our office is staffed Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and located on the Mass. Eye and Ear's 3rd floor.
Contact Information/Hours of Operation
Telephone: 617-573-3550 for further information.
Hours: Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Messages may also be left after hours and on weekends.