The Harvard Medical School Otolaryngology Residency Program currently accepts five residents per year. Applications are due each year on October 1st.
There are two separate tracks for residency training, differentiated by time allotted for research training.
- The clinical track is a total of five years of training: one year of general surgery and four years of otolaryngology—head and neck surgery. We accept four clinical track residents each year.
- The research track is a total of seven years training: one year of general surgery, four years in otolaryngology—head and neck surgery, and an additional two years devoted entirely to research training. This research block falls between the PGY-2 and PGY-3 years of training and is supported by an NIDCD training grant. We accept one research track resident each year.
We offer four PGY-1 positions on the clinical track and one PGY-1 position on the research track for each year. A resident applicant may be a candidate for one or both tracks. Interviews for both tracks are conducted at the same time.
The PGY-1 year of training takes place at one of three institutions: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Brigham and Women's Hospital, or Massachusetts General Hospital.
How to Apply
The HMS Otolaryngology Residency Program participates in the ERAS application and NRMP Match. The clinical and research tracks are identified by two different numbers in the NRMP Program.
- Completed ERAS application
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Date due: October 1st
- NOTE: The program-specific paragraph is NOT required - optional only
Residency interviews for the program are held at Massachusetts Eye and Ear. The interview format includes six interviews for each applicant, lunch with the faculty and residents, and tours of the facilities at both Massachusetts Eye and Ear and the Longwood campus, with ample opportunity for questions. In addition, there is an opportunity to meet with the residents at a dinner the evening before the interview day.
Monday, November 27, 2017
Wednesday, December 13, 2017
Tuesday, December 19, 2017
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact the Otolaryngology Education Office.
Otolaryngology Education Office
Massachusetts Eye and Ear
243 Charles Street, Boston, MA 02114
Phone: 617-573-3654 Fax: 617-573-3939