3 Days in Quito
22 children evaluated
- 12 Bronchoscopies
- 1 surgical airway performed (Erik Cabezas)
- 1 child scheduled to come to Boston (Maria Espin)
- 3 Airway surgeries scheduled for next mission
Airway Course held in Hotel.
The First Educational Trip of the “Local Team” to Boston, 2011:
The “Ecuadorian team” consisting of a pediatric surgeon, 2 ENTs, 2 Anesthesiologists, and 1 ICU doctor came to spend 5 days in Boston to observe Airway Operations and post-op care.
May 2011, 20 Patients evaluated.
- 2 Open Airway Reconstructions (I cancelled due to illness)
- 3 salivary gland tie off procedures performed for aspiration and sialorrhea
- 1 suprastomal granuloma excision
- 1 tracheotomy performed
- 1 decannulation from prior surgery (First decannulation by operation airway team!)
- 4 Airway Reconstructions performed
- 10 Bronchoscopies
- 1 Salivary Gland Procedure
- Airway Conference
For the first time we brought a speech pathologist with an interest in pediatric swallowing disorders to introduce the concept of a true AERODIGESTIVE CENTER. Collaborative teaching of swallowing evaluation begun.
First Multi-disciplinary meetings between local hospital administrators, doctors, speech pathologists, and families to set up a comprehensive Pediatric Aerodigestive Center.
For the first time the local surgeons primary performed the airway reconstructions with the Boston team supporting, assisting, and advising!!!
Screening mission to evaluate the children there and lay the groundwork for future missions.