Past Operation Airway Trips
Learn a little bit more about some the past trips that the Operation Airway Team have gone on by reading below. For more indepth information, check out the Operation Airway blog at http://operationairway.wordpress.com/.
3 Days in Quito
22 children evaluated
- 12 Bronchoscopies
- 1 surgical airway performed (Erik Cabezas)
- 1 child scheduled to come to Boston (Maria Espin)
- 3 Airway surgeries scheduled for next mission
Airway Course held in Hotel
The First Educational Trip of the “Local Team” to Boston, 2011:
The “Ecuadorian team” consisting of a pediatric surgeon, 2 ENTs, 2 Anesthesiologists, and 1 ICU doctor came to spend 5 days in Boston to observe Airway Operations and post-op care.
May 201120 Patients evaluated.
- 2 Open Airway Reconstructions (I cancelled due to illness)
- 3 salivary gland tie off procedures performed for aspiration and sialorrhea
- 1 suprastomal granuloma excision
- 1 tracheotomy performed
- 1 decannulation from prior surgery (First decannulation by operation airway team!)
- 4 Airway Reconstructions performed
- 10 Bronchoscopies
- 1 Salivary Gland Procedure
- Airway Conference
For the first time we brought a speech pathologist with an interest in pediatric swallowing disorders to introduce the concept of a true AERODIGESTIVE CENTER.
Collaborative teaching of swallowing evaluation begun.
First Multi-disciplinary meetings between local hospital administrators, doctors, speech pathologists, and families to set up a comprehensive Pediatric Aerodigestive Center.
For the first time the local surgeons primary performed the airway reconstructions with the Boston team supporting, assisting, and advising!!!