Past Operation Airway Trips
Learn a little bit more about some the past trips that the Operation Airway Team have gone on by reading below. For more in-depth information, check out the Operation Airway blog at http://operationairway.wordpress.com/.
3 Days in Quito
22 children evaluated
- 12 Bronchoscopies
- 1 surgical airway performed (Erik Cabezas)
- 1 child scheduled to come to Boston (Maria Espin)
- 3 Airway surgeries scheduled for next mission
Airway Course held in Hotel
The First Educational Trip of the “Local Team” to Boston, 2011:
The “Ecuadorian team” consisting of a pediatric surgeon, 2 ENTs, 2 Anesthesiologists, and 1 ICU doctor came to spend 5 days in Boston to observe Airway Operations and post-op care.
May 201120 Patients evaluated.
- 2 Open Airway Reconstructions (I cancelled due to illness)
- 3 salivary gland tie off procedures performed for aspiration and sialorrhea
- 1 suprastomal granuloma excision
- 1 tracheotomy performed
- 1 decannulation from prior surgery (First decannulation by operation airway team!)
- 4 Airway Reconstructions performed
- 10 Bronchoscopies
- 1 Salivary Gland Procedure
- Airway Conference
For the first time we brought a speech pathologist with an interest in pediatric swallowing disorders to introduce the concept of a true AERODIGESTIVE CENTER.
Collaborative teaching of swallowing evaluation begun.
First Multi-disciplinary meetings between local hospital administrators, doctors, speech pathologists, and families to set up a comprehensive Pediatric Aerodigestive Center.
For the first time the local surgeons primary performed the airway reconstructions with the Boston team supporting, assisting, and advising!!!