Ear, Nose, Throat Care for Children
The needs of children with ear, nose and throat problems are very unique. Mass. Eye and Ear's Pediatric Otolaryngology Service has the experience and expertise to meet those needs with leading-edge techniques and technology, combined with the kind of compassion children and their parents need when facing such medical and surgical problems.
The volume of children treated at Mass. Eye and Ear is similar to children’s hospitals. Nearly 6,000 children ranging in age from newborn through adolescence were cared for in 2010. When physicians and other clinical experts work in such an environment, they become proficient at managing even the most unusual problems.
It's that focused experience that makes Mass. Eye and Ear sought-after for children’s ENT services – drawing families from all over New England and throughout the country and the world. Everything about Mass. Eye and Ear’s Pediatrics Service is designed for kids and families:
- The physicians are all otolaryngologists (ENT doctors) fellowship trained in pediatrics, some with board certification in both areas of specialty.
- The nurses, technicians and other clinical experts are specially trained in pediatric ENT.
- A full-time Child Life Specialist provides a friendly liaison between families and staff, answering questions, explaining procedures and generally helping families to navigate unfamiliar territory.
- The waiting rooms, exam areas and treatment facilities are dedicated to children. Families feel comfortable here. It is a bright, cheerful and child-friendly environment staffed by people who love their jobs and who love helping kids.
A number of important innovations were developed here.
- Mass. Eye and Ear was the first hospital to allow parents in the OR during children’s surgery. It was a radical idea 20 years ago but has since been adopted by most major children’s hospitals.
- Mass. Eye and Ear played a key role in developing newborn hearing screening technology, which has since become a standard of care in most states.
- Mass. Eye and Ear is widely respected for advances in ear reconstruction for children with microtia and other congenital ear malformations, in the treatment of newborn airway anomalies and adolescent voice problems, in the correction of childhood hearing loss including cochlear implantation, and in the management of hemangiomas and vascular anomalies in concert with pediatric specialist colleagues from the Mass. General Hospital for Children.
Or call 617-573-3954 for appointment information.
- Pediatric Surgical Services
- Preparing For Your Child's Surgery
- Day of Your Child's Surgery
- Things To Do While Visiting Boston
Page updated 2/1/11