Treating the Ears, Nose, Throat, Head and Neck
At Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, General Otolaryngology is both a starting point and a destination for patients as issues are identified and treatment strategies are developed.
In addition to the ears, nose and throat, the General Otolaryngology Service deals with the medical and surgical treatment of a wide variety of head and neck disorders, including infection, inflammation and lesions in the head and neck.
A large percentage of patients coming to Mass. Eye and Ear for the first time will start in General Otolaryngology for initial assessment and investigation, before referral to other specialists as needed to address specific problems and conditions. For example, a problem related to the ear will be referred to Mass. Eye and Ear's Otology Division or a voice problem might be referred to the Laryngology Division.
Some will stay in the General Otolaryngology service throughout the course of therapy and follow-up - including, for example, patients with sleep apnea, snoring and sinus problems.
Click here to learn more or call 617-573-3954 for appointment information.
The Language of Otolaryngology
Pronounced oto-larrin-GOL-olgy, the technical title was actually shortened some years ago from the original – otorhinolaryngology. Yet it remains a word that can be daunting for those outside the medical field. The term ENT – abbreviated from Ear, Nose and Throat – is commonly used to describe both the specialty and the otolaryngologist, the ear, nose and throat physician.
A Broad Range of Disorders Treated
The General Otolaryngology Service concentrates on both surgical and non-surgical treatment of a wide variety of head and neck disorders, including:
- Infections and lesions of the tonsils and adenoids
- Problems in the mouth, including oral lesions; taste, tongue and palate function and evaluation of disease related to tobacco use
- Throat and swallowing disorders
- Voice box problems: vocal cord and larynx infections, disorders of the voice, breathing and cough
- Neck lesions, nodules and cysts
- Nose and sinus disorders including the evaluation and treatment of nasal congestion, facial and sinus pain, nasal discharge and bleeding and smell disorders
- Salivary gland disease, including infections, stones, salivary gland enlargement, salivary gland pain, nodules, lesions and inflammatory disorders of the salivary glands, such as Sjogren’s
- Thyroid and parathyroid disorders, including masses, nodules and enlarged thyroid (goiter)
- Snoring and obstructive sleep apnea.