Innovations in Research and Patient Care
Our physicians are conducting leading-edge research to advance care for patients with thyroid eye disease and orbital tumors. As a result, they have pioneered several new, minimally invasive surgical approaches.
1. Our team has developed a new surgical technique to perform orbital decompression surgery, while minimizing post-operative problems, such as double vision. During the procedure, some of the bones in the eye socket (orbital walls) are removed to create more space for the enlarged muscles and fat that may be compromising vision.
2. Our team has also developed new methods to access and repair the eye socket after the endoscopic removal of orbital tumors.
- Endoscopic endonasal orbital cavernous hemangioma resection: global experience in techniques and outcomes. Bleier BS, Castelnuovo P, Battaglia P, Turri-Zanoni M, Dallan I, Metson R, Sedaghat AR, Stefko ST, Gardner PA, Snyderman CH, Nogueira JF, Ramakrishnan VR, Muscatello L, Lenzi R, Freitag S. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2016 Feb;6(2):156-61.
- Comparative techniques of medial rectus muscle retraction for endoscopic exposure of the medial intraconal space. Lin GC, Freitag SK, Kocharyan A, Yoon MK, Lefebvre DR, Bleier BS. Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2016 May;30(3):226-9.
- The nasoseptal flap for reconstruction of the medial and inferior orbit. Chhabra N, Healy DY, Freitag SK, Bleier BS. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2014 Sep;4(9):763-6.
- Endoscopic bimanual approach to an intraconal cavernous hemangioma of the orbital apex with vascularized flap reconstruction. Healy DY Jr, Lee NG, Freitag SK, Bleier BS. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Jul-Aug;30(4):e104-6.
- Compartmental endoscopic surgical anatomy of the medial intraconal orbital space. Bleier BS, Healy DY Jr, Chhabra N, Freitag S. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2014 Jul;4(7):587-91.
3. Our team is examining ways to optimize patient quality of life after endoscopic orbital surgeries.
4. Currently, Mass. Eye and Ear specialists are writing the first textbook on Endoscopic Orbital Surgery.
Use of a retinal sponge for silicone tube fixation after bicanalicular lacrimal intubation or dacryocystorhinostomy. Teo L, Bleier B, Lim L, Freitag S. Orbit. 2016;35(2):97.
Invasive fungal disease of the sinus and orbit: a comparison between mucormycosis and Aspergillus. Trief D, Gray ST, Jakobiec FA, Durand ML, Fay A, Freitag SK, Lee NG, Lefebvre DR, Holbrook E, Bleier B, Sadow P, Rashid A, Chhabra N, Yoon MK. Br J Ophthalmol. 2016 Feb;100(2):184-8.
Endoscopic bimanual approach to an intraconal cavernous hemangioma of the orbital apex with vascularized flap reconstruction. Healy DY Jr, Lee NG, Freitag SK, Bleier BS. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Jul-Aug;30(4):e104-6.
Make An Appointment Today!
or Use Our Simple Online Form to Give Us Feedback
We welcome your comments and feedback. Please include contact information if you'd like a response.