Iryna A. Falkenstein, M.D.
Instructor in Ophthalmology, Department of Ophthalmology
Dr. Falkenstein is a clinical ophthalmologist who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of primary and secondary glaucoma in adults. She is currently involved in research projects addressing improvement of imaging techniques for diagnosis of glaucoma, such as use of high resolution optical coherence tomography. She also is involved in clinical trials elucidating the effects of prostaglandins and statins in treatment of glaucoma.
For a full publication list, please see her CV.
Intraocular properties of a repository urokinase receptor antagonist a36 peptide in rabbits. Falkenstein IA, Cheng L, Jones TR, Babson B, Kozak I, Freeman WR. Curr Eye Res. 2010;35(8):742-50.
Comparison of visual acuity in macular degeneration patients measured with Snellen and logMAR (ETDRS) study charts. Falkenstein IA, Cochran D, Azen SP, Dustin L, Freeman WR. Ophthalmology. 2008:115(2):319-23.
Changes of intraocular pressure after intravitreal injection of bevacizumab (avastin). Falkenstein IA, Cheng L, Freeman WR. Retina. 2007 Oct;27(8):1044-7.
Imaging vitreomacular interface abnormalities in the coronal plane by simultaneous combined scanning laser and optical coherence tomography. Tammewar AM, Bartsch DU, Kozak I, Falkenstein IA, Freeman WR. Br J Ophthalmol. 2009;93(3):366-72.
Standardized visual acuity resluts associated with primary versus secondary bevacizumab in treatment of neovascular age related macular degeneration. Falkenstein IA, Cheng L, Kozak I, Morrison VL, Freeman WR. Br J Ophthalmol. 2009;93(3):366-72.
- 1997: M.D., Medicine, Crimea State Medical University, Ukraine
- 1991-1997: Residency, Ophthalmology, Regional Hospital of Crimea, Crimea State Medical University
- 2004-2007: Pre-Residency Fellowship, Retinal, Shiley Eye Center, UCSD, San Diego, CA
- 2007-2008: Internship, Surgery, University of Southern California
- 2008-2009: Resident, Preventative Medicine,University of California, San Diego
- 2009-2012: Resident, Ophthalmology, University of Texas Health Science
- 2012-2013: Fellowship, Glaucoma, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- 1999-2001: General Ophthalmologist, Simferopol Railroad Hospital, Simferopol, Ukraine
- 2004-2007: Assistant Project Scientist/Research Fellow, Vitreo-Retinal Department, Jacobs Retina Center, Shiley Eye Center, USCD, La Jolla, CA
- 2013-present: Attending Ophthalmologist, Glaucoma Specialist, Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary
- 2013-present: Instructor in Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School
- 2005-present: Member, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- 2005-present: Member, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 2009-present: Member, International Society of Refractive Surgery of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 2012-present: Member, American Glaucoma Society