Teresa C. Chen, M.D.
Associate Professor of Ophthalmology, Department of Ophthalmology
Medical Director of Quality and Outcomes
Dr. Chen focuses her research on three-dimensional (3D) imaging of the eye using spectral domain optical coherence tomography (SDOCT) and swept source imaging. Along with collaborators at Massachusetts General Hospital, her research group was the first to image the human eye in vivo with video rate SDOCT, a widely used imaging modality for the care of glaucoma patients. With SDOCT, ultra-highresolution 3D video imaging of the optic nerve and the retina is now possible. Her group was the first to prove that the commercially available scanning laser polarimeter (GDx machine) produces incorrect nerve fiber layer measurements and is based on a false principle. Dr. Chen also has clinical and research interests in pediatric glaucoma.
Spectral domain optical coherence tomography: Ultra-high speed, ultra-high resolution ophthalmic imaging. Chen TC, Cense B, Pierce MC, Nassif N, Park BH, Yun SH, White BR, Bouma BE, Tearney GJ, de Boer JF. Arch Ophthalmol. 2005 Dec;123(12):1715-20.
In vivo three-dimensional imaging of neovascular age related macular degeneration using optical frequency domain imaging at 1050 nm. deBruin DM, Burnes DL, Loewenstein J, Chen Y, Chang S, Chen TC, Esmaili DD, deBoer JF. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. 2008;49(10):4545-52.
Diagnostic capability of spectral domain optical coherence tomography for glaucoma. Wu H, de Boer JF, Chen TC. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 2012;153(5):815-26.
Pediatric glaucoma surgery: a report by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Chen TC, Chen PP, Francis BA, Junk AK, Smith SD, Singh K, Lin SC. Ophthalmology. 2014 Jul 24.
Achieving target refraction after cataract surgery. Simon SS, Chee Y, Haddadin RI, Veldman PB, Borboli-Gerogiannis S, Brauner SC, Chang KK, Chen SH, Gardner MF, Greenstein SH, Kloek CE, Chen TC. Ophthalmology. 2014 Feb;121(2):440-4.
- 1991: B.S., Biology, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- 1993: M.D., Medicine, Albany Medical College
- Internship, Internal Medicine, Brigham & Women's Hospital
- Residency, Ophthalmology, Illinois Eye and Ear Infirmary
- Fellowship, Glaucoma, Massachusetts Eye and Ear
- 1994-present: Member, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 1998-present: Member, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- 2009-present: Member, American Ophthalmological Society
- 2004-2008: Vice-President, Chandler Grant Glaucoma Society
- 2006-present: Practicing Ophthalmologists Curriculum Panel, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 2006-2013: Advisory Board, The Glaucoma Foundation – New England chapter
- 2006-2011: Adult Vision Advisory Committee, Prevent Blindness America
- 2011-2013: President, Chandler Grant Glaucoma Society
- 2011-present: Member, Multimedia Committee, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 2013-present: Glaucoma Subspecialty Day Committee member, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 2013-present: Chair, Ophthalmology Technology Assessment Committee, Glaucoma Section, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 1986: NSTA and NASA Award
- 1986: International Science and Engineering Fair Finalist
- 1987: Westinghouse Honors Group
- 1987: All-USA High School Scholar (top 20 high school students in the country)
- 1987: National Merit Scholarship
- 1989: The National Dean’s List Multiple Year Award for Outstanding Achievement
- 1989: Alpha Epsilon Delta, The Premedical Honor Society
- 1991: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (College) Rank 1 of 1063
- 1991: Dean’s Award for Outstanding Research
- 1991: NIH Research Fellowship Award
- 1991: AOA Student Research Fellowship Award
- 1991: Junior Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA)
- 1992: Dean’s Award for Outstanding Research
- 1993: Dean’s Senior Research Award
- 1993: The Robert D. Reinecke Prize for Research in Ophthalmology
- 1993: Albany Medical College (Medical School) Rank 1 of 125
- 1997: Heed Fellowship
- 2002: America’s Top Ophthalmologists – Consumer Research Council of America
- 2006: Top Ten Presentations of the American Glaucoma Society (International Glaucoma Rev.)
- 2007: Best Doctors in America
- 2008: Nomination for Harvard Medical School’s Excellence in Mentoring Award
- 2009: American Academy of Ophthalmology – Achievement Award
- 2012: Nomination for Partners Outstanding Clinical Teacher Award
- 2014: Nomination for Harvard Medical School’s Excellence in Mentoring Award