Ivana K. Kim, M.D.
Director, Macular Degeneration Unit
Director, Retina Clinical Research
Co-director, Ocular Melanoma Center
Evangelos S. Gragoudas Distinguished Scholar in Retina
- AMD Center of Excellence
- Angiogenesis Laboratory
- Diabetic Eye Disease Center of Excellence
- Mobility Enhancement and Vision Rehabilitation Center of Excellence
- Ocular Oncology Center of Excellence
- Ocular Regenerative Medicine Institute
Dr. Kim focuses on the medical and surgical treatment of patients with vitreoretinal diseases. Additionally, she conducts clinical and translational research directed toward the development of new therapies for AMD and ocular melanoma. Together with Drs. Margaret DeAngelis and Joan Miller, she has described novel associations of genes such as RORA, ROB01, and CYP24A 1 with AMD that may highlight important pathways in AMD pathogenesis. She has an ongoing collaboration with Dr. Levi Garraway at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute to search for oncogenic mutations in uveal melanoma using techniques such as whole exome sequencing. She is currently leading an investigator-sponsored trial evaluating anti-VEGF therapy in combination with proton beam irradiation for choroidal melanoma.
- IStudy of genetic and epidemiologic risk factors for age-related macular degeneration using a cohort of extremely discordant sibling pairs in collaboration with Drs. Margaret DeAngelis and Joan Miller
- Investigation of molecular genetic alterations in uveal melanoma
- Investigation of novel inhibitors of angiogenesis in rodent and primate models of choroidal neovascularization