Dean Eliott, M.D.
Associate Director, Retina Service
Director, Vitreoretinal Fellowship
- AMD Center of Excellence
- Diabetic Eye Disease Center of Excellence
- Ocular Regenerative Medicine Institute
Dr. Eliott is an accomplished and nationally renowned vitreoretinal surgeon. He is active in clinical trials for retinal disease, with a strong interest in translational research on diabetic retinopathy, AMD, non-diabetic retinal vascular disease, and proliferative vitreoretinopathy. His recent work includes studies to improve diagnosis and outcomes in patients with proliferative diabetic retinopathy, diabetic macular edema, and complex vitreoretinal surgical conditions, such as diabetic retinal detachment, trauma, endophthalmitis, and recurrent retinal detachment due to proliferative vitreoretinopathy.
For a full publication list, please see his CV.
Retinal detachment after open globe injury. Stryjewski TP, Andreoli CM, Eliott D. Ophthalmology. 2014 Jan;121(1):327-333.
Fellow eye vitrectomy for proliferative diabetic retinopathy in an inner city population. Hwang JC, Sharma AG, Eliott D. Br J Ophthalmol. 2013 Mar;97(3):297-301.
Angiofibrotic response to VEGF inhibition in diabetic retinal detachment: report no. 1. Sohn EH, He S, Kim LA, Salehi-had H, Javaheri M, Spee C, Dustin L, Hinton DR, Eliott D. Arch Ophthalmol. 2012 Sep;130(9):1127-34.
Interim results from the international trial of Second Sight’s visual prosthesis. Humayun MS, Dorn JD, da Cruz L, Dagnelie G, Sahel JA, Stanga PE, Cideciyan AV, Duncan JL, Eliott D, Filley E, Ho AC, Santos A, Safran AB, Arditi A, Del Priore LV, Greenberg RJ; Argus II Study Group. Ophthalmology. 2012 Apr;119(4):779-788.
Fluocinolone acetonide intravitreal implant for diabetic macular edema: a 3-year multicenter, randomized, controlled clinical trial. Pearson PA, Comstock TL, Ip M, Callanan D, Morse LS, Ashton P, Levy B, Mann ES, Eliott D. Ophthalmology. 2011 Aug;118(8):1580-1587.
- 1984: B.S., Zoology/Classical Studies, Duke University
- 1988: M.D., Medicine, Vanderbilt University
- 1989: Internship, Internal Medicine, Cornell University Medical Center
- 1992: Residency, Ophthalmology, Wilmer Eye Institute, John Hopkins Hospital
- 1993: Fellowship, Retina, Duke Eye Center
- 1993-1994: Chief Resident/Clinical Associate, Ophthalmology, Vitreoretinal Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Duke University Eye Center
- 1994-2000: Assistant Professor, Ophthalmology, Vitreoretinal Surgery, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Kresge Eye Institute
- 2000-2006: Associate Professor, Ophthalmology, Vitreoretinal Surgery, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Kresge Eye Institute
- 2006-2007: Visiting Professor, Clinical Ophthalmology, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine
- 2007-2010: Professor, Clinical Ophthalmology, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine
- 2010-2012: Lecturer, Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School
- 2012-present: Stelios Evangelos Gragoudas Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School
- 1992-1993: The Heed Ophthalmic Foundation Fellowship Award, The Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute, The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- 1992-1993: The Hornaday Fellow Award, Duke Eye Center
- 1993-1994: The Golden Globe Award for Teaching, Duke Eye Center
- 1995-1996: The Distinguished Teaching Award, Kresge Eye Institute
- 2003: The Vitreous Society Honor Award: Vitreous Society (American Society of Retinal Specialists)
- 2004: The American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 2012: Crystal Apple Award for Teaching, American Society of Retina Specialists