Claes H. Dohlman, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Ophthalmology, Emeritus Department of Ophthalmology
Director, Boston Keratoprosthesis Research and Development
Long considered a pioneer of modern corneal science, Dr. Dohlman established the Cornea Service and the Cornea Fellowship program at Mass. Eye and Ear in 1960. He is the developer of the Boston Keratoprosthesis (Boston KPro), an artificial cornea that offers hope to many patients for whom a standard corneal transplant is not a viable option. More than 9,000 patients in the United States and in 52 countries worldwide have received a Boston KPro. Dr. Dohlman continues a robust Boston KPro research program with a number of coworkers that addresses simplicity, cost and long-term safety for the device, especially for the developing world.
For a full publication list (330 publications), please see his CV.
1. Kumar R, Dohlman CH, Chodosh J. Oral acetazolamide after Boston keratoprosthesis in Stevens-Johnson syndrome. BMC Res Notes. 2012 Apr 30;5:205. PubMed PMID: 22546532; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3469385.
2. Todani A, Behlau I, Fava MA, Cade F, Cherfan DG, Zakka FR, Jakobiec FA, Gao Y, Dohlman CH, Melki SA. Intraocular pressure measurement by radio wave telemetry. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011 Dec 20;52(13):9573-80. PubMed PMID: 22039243.
3. Cade F, Grosskreutz CL, Tauber A, Dohlman CH. Glaucoma in eyes with severe chemical burn, before and after keratoprosthesis. Cornea. 2011 Dec;30(12):1322-7. PubMed PMID: 22001817.
4. Pujari S, Siddique SS, Dohlman CH, Chodosh J. The Boston keratoprosthesis type II: the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary experience. Cornea. 2011 Dec;30(12):1298-303. PubMed PMID: 21963861.
5. Behlau I, Mukherjee K, Todani A, Tisdale AS, Cade F, Wang L, Leonard EM, Zakka FR, Gilmore MS, Jakobiec FA, Dohlman CH, Klibanov AM. Biocompatibility and biofilm inhibition of N,N-hexyl,methyl-polyethylenimine bonded to Boston Keratoprosthesis materials. Biomaterials. 2011 Dec;32(34):8783-96.PubMed PMID: 21903257; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3410931.
- 1950: "Medicine Licentiat" (MD), University of Lund, Sweden
- 1957: "Medicine Doktor" (PhD) and "Docent," University of Lund, Sweden
- 1950-1951: Resident in Ophthalmology, University of Lund, Sweden
- 1952-1953: Research Fellow in Ophthalmology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- 1953: Research Fellow, Stanford University Hospital, San Francisco
- 1953-1954: Research Fellow, Retina Foundation, Boston, MA
- 1954-1958: Staff, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Lund, Sweden
- 1956: Research Fellow, Department of Biochemistry, Karolinksa Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
- 1958: Visiting Ophthalmologist, Eduard Herriot Hospital, Lyon, France
- 1958-1963: Fellow in Ophthalmology, Mass. Eye and Ear
- 1958-1962: Research Associate, Retina Foundation, Boston, MA
- 1961-1967: Instructor in Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School
- 1967-1968: Clinical Associate in Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School
- 1968-1969: Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School
- 1969-1973: Associate Professor of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School
- 1974-present: Professor of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School
- 1974-1989: Chairman, Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School
- 1974-1989: Director, Howe Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School
- 1967-present: Member, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- 1970-1983: Member, American Society of Contemporary Ophthalmology
- 1970-present: Member, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 1970-present: Member, International Eye Foundation Society of Eye Physicians
- 1970-present: Member, New England Ophthalmological Society
- 1970-present: Member, Pan American Association of Ophthalmology
- 1974-1989: Member, Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology
- 1975-present: Member, American Medical Association
- 1975-present: Member, Massachusetts Medical Society
- 1975-present: Member, Massachusetts Ophthalmological Society
- 1975-present: Member, Castroviejo Society
- 1981-present: Member, International Society for Eye Research
- 1966: New England Ophthalmological Society Award Order of Vasa, Sweden
- 1971: Friedenwald Award for Research in Ophthalmology
- 1972: Bjerrum Award, Denmark
- 1973: Honorary Member, Swedish Ophthalmological Society
- 1981: Castroviejo Medal
- 1984: Residents Teacher of the Year Award, Mass. Eye and Ear
- 1984: Senior Honor Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 1986: Man of Vision Award, Mass. Society to Prevent Blindness
- 1994: Residents Teacher of the Year Award, Mass. Eye and Ear
- 1995: Man of Vision Award, Boston Aid to the Blind
- 1998: Residents Teacher of the Year Award, Mass. Eye and Ear
- 1998: Distinguished Service Award, given as the sole recipient at the 175th Anniversary of Mass. Eye and Ear