How to Use Ear Drops
The name of the drug and the directions for use of your drops are on the label of the bottle. You must use your medications as often as the doctor has instructed. For example, if you are instructed to put the drops in every four hours, do not wait any longer because the medicine's effect may wear off. You may use the drops sooner if it is more convenient. Unless you have been specifically directed to awaken and use medication during the night, medications are intended to be used for an average of 16 daytime waking hours. Thus, if a drop is labeled "four times a day" you should put it in every four hours while awake
Carry your medicines with you whenever you are away for a prolonged time and continue to use them as you would at home. Also, be sure to bring them with you on each return visit to your doctor and ask for instructions about their future daily use before your appointment is completed. It is not unusual for medications to sting or burn slightly for a few moments when they are first used. However, if after use of the medication your ear lobes become red, swollen, and itch, you should report this to your doctor. If possible, have some one else put the drops in for you.
How to Use Ear Drops
- Wash your hands.
- Place the bottle on a solid base. Carefully remove the dropper from the bottle. Be sure the plastic part of the dropper does not touch anything.
- Lie on your side with the infected ear upward.
- Put the correct number of drops into your ear.
- Wipe away drops that spill onto the skin of the ear lobe with a clean tissue.
- Remain lying down with the infected ear upward for 5 minutes.
- Put the dropper into the bottle and tighten the cap.
We hope that this information has been helpful. If you would like to schedule an appointment for an examination by an otolaryngologist, a physician who specializes in the medical and surgical treatment of the ear, nose, and throat, please call our Physician Referral Service at 617-573-3954.
Contact Us Today!
or Use Our Simple Online Form to Give Us Feedback
We welcome your comments and feedback. Please include contact information if you'd like a response.