Special Medical Concerns
(For Longwood Patients)
- Please do not take pills for diabetes at home on the day of surgery. If you take insulin injections, please follow the following directions, unless you have otherwise been directed by your medical doctor:
- If you normally take insulin before bedtime, please take 1/2 your regularly scheduled dose on the night before your surgery.
- On the morning of your day of surgery, please take 1/2 of your regularly scheduled morning dose of long-acting insulin. Do not take your regular insulin. Please report your dose when you check in at Longwood.
- If you are on an insulin pump, please contact your medical doctor for further instructions.
- You will be evaluated upon your arrival to the surgical center to determine how to best manage your diabetes on the day of surgery.
- If your surgery is scheduled in the afternoon, please contact the anesthesiologist at (617) 573-3380 unless instructed by your medical doctor.
If you use any inhalers or breathing devices, please bring them with you on the day of surgery.
If you have an implanted cardiac defi brillator or pace maker, you must inform your surgeon and the Anesthesiology Department. Please call (617) 573-3380 in advance of your surgery date. Please provide the secretary in the Anesthe siology Department with the name and telephone number of the clinic that checks your pacemaker/defibrillator. Also provide the information that is contained on your lCD or Pacemaker card. Please bring a copy of your implant device card with you on the day of surgery, unless you have completed your medical history in One Medical Passport.