Neskey-Coghlan Fellowship in Balance and Vestibular Disorders
Massachusetts Eye and Ear/Harvard Medical School
The Neskey-Coghlan Fellowship in Balance and Vestibular Disorders is a one-year, post-residency fellowship program based at Massachusetts Eye and Ear designed to train qualified physicians in the diagnosis and management of patients with balance and vestibular disorders. Massachusetts Eye and Ear is home to two state-of-the-art vestibular diagnostic laboratories (one in Boston and another in Braintree) and a leading-edge basic science vestibular research laboratory, and the hospital consistently receives a high volume of dizzy patients.
Steven D. Rauch, M.D. (Director)
Faisal Karmali, Ph.D.
Richard F. Lewis, M.D.
Daniel M. Merfeld, Ph.D.
Adrian Priesol, M.D.
Conrad Wall, III, Ph.D.
Gregory T. Whitman, M.D.
Graduates of this program will be qualified to assume a full spectrum of clinical responsibilities in patient care and vestibular function test interpretation in the community or academic setting.
The Neskey-Coghlan fellow will actively participate in the evaluation and management of patients suffering from balance and vestibular disorders, predominantly in an outpatient clinic setting. The fellow also gains valuable experience in interpreting vestibular function tests in the Jenks Vestibular Diagnostic Laboratory. These clinical experiences are supplemented by sessions with auxiliary faculty in the areas of in radiology, physiatry and physical therapy, audiology, psychiatry and neuropsychology, and neuro-ophthalmology.
Active participation in a weekly vestibular conference, including organizational efforts, is an integral part of this fellowship program. This conference includes a combination of journal club sessions, work-in-progress talks by local faculty and visiting speakers from other institutions.
Research and Publications:
The Neskey-Coghlan fellow will participate in ongoing research activities in the Balance and Vestibular Center at Massachusetts Eye and Ear. Fellows are also encouraged to develop and execute their own investigator-initiated research projects under appropriate supervision of faculty members. Research activities are expected to culminate in the publication and presentation of scholarly work in appropriate journals and meetings.
While research activities during the Neskey-Coghlan Fellowship are constrained to less than 25% time commitment, it is conceivable that an occasional fellow may demonstrate superior interest and aptitude in the research domain. These fellows may be encourage to apply for a second year of training in a research fellowship position in which at least 75% time commitment will be devoted to research activities and only the remainder available for clinical activities. This additional year of research training is particularly appropriate for those individuals ultimately seeking an academic career track.
The fellowship comprises a minimum of 75% time commitment to clinical training and patient care under the supervision of our otology and otoneurology faculty and our adjunct radiology/neuroradiology, physiatry and physical therapy and psychiatry faculty. The remaining 25% of the fellows’ time will be divided between research, didactic and other scholarly career development activities in the subject area of balance and vestibular disorders.
Candidates are drawn from specialties in which physicians may have an interest in balance problems, including (but not limited to) otolaryngology and neurology. Applicants must be eligible for a limited license to practice in the state of Massachusetts.
Interested applicants should contact Dr. Steven Rauch at Steven_Rauch@meei.harvard.edu.
Contact Us Today!
or Use Our Simple Online Form to Give Us Feedback
We welcome your comments and feedback. Please include contact information if you'd like a response.