Department of Radiology Annual Report
Fiscal Year 2012
Highlights from this fiscal year include the following:
• Hilary Kelly, M.D., was hired as a Staff Radiologist and will be here 1 day/week. Dr. Kelly will assist with ultrasound expansion project due to positive volume growth.
Faculty and/or Staff promotions:
• Neal Deleon was promoted to Lead MRI Tech.
• Renee Mitchell was promoted to Lead CT/Xray Tech.
Faculty awards and prizes:
• Hugh D. Curtin, M.D., was named one of Boston’s “100 Top Doc’s” in Boston Magazine, 2012.
• Hugh D. Curtin, M.D., was named Distinguished Alumnus for Upstate Medical Center, New York, Oct. 2012.
• Hugh D. Curtin, M.D., was awarded “The Founders Award” at the 25th Anniversary of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center for Cranial Base Surgery, Nov. 2012.
New Equipment and Technology:
• Successful implementation of a Ceretom-Oto CT scanning system at our new Quincy satellite in November 2011.
• A trial of an intra-operative Ceretom Otoscan CT system was completed in December 2011. The trial was ended and equipment was returned due to low volume needs by medical staff.
• A trial of a 3D Accuitomo CT system is scheduled to end by the end of November 2012. This system was capable of good quality temporal bone scans but the volume of cases was not high enough to support a capital purchase.
• Planning stages are underway to replace the existing Siemens Somatom 40-slice CT system that is approaching seven years old. This will be accomplished by the end of FY13.
• Gul Moonis, M.D., Mary Beth Cunnane, M.D., and Hugh D. Curtin, M.D., published an article entitled “Patterns of Perineural Tumor Spread in Head and Neck Cancer”. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am. 2012 Aug;20(3):435-6
• Mary Beth Cunnane, M.D., et al published an article entitled “Case Records of the Massachusett General Hospital, Case 29-2012-A 49 year-old man with pain and cranial-nerve palsies after treatment of oral cancer”. N Engl J Med. 2012 Sep 20;367(12):1136-47.
• Mary Beth Cunnane, M.D., and Amy Juliano, M.D., published an article entitled “Benign Conditions of the Thyroid Gland”. Semin Ultrasound CT MR. 2012 Apr;33(2):130-7.
• Mary Beth Cunnane, M.D., et al published an article entitled “Color Doppler Ultrasound: Effective Monitoring of the Buried Free Flap in Facial Reanimation”. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012 Mar;146(3):372-6.
• Gul Moonis, M.D., et al published an article entitled “Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence in East Asian Women with Osteoporosis”. BMC Ear Nose Throat Disord. 2012 Jul 25;12(1):8.
• Gul Moonis, M.D., et al published an article entitled “Multimodality Imaging of Hydrogel Scleral Buckles”. Retina. 2012 Sep;32(8):1449-52.
• Laura Romo, M.D., et al published an article entitled “Tampon Use in Adolescence: Differences among European American, African American and Latina Women in Practices, Concerns and Barriers”. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2012 Oct;25(5):328-33.
• Paul Caruso, M.D., et al published an article entitled “Risk of Second Cancers after Photon and Proton Radiotherapy: A Review of the Data”. Health Phys. 2012 Nov;103(5):577-85.
• Paul Caruso, M.D., et al published an article entitled “Hypoperfusion Predicts Lesion Progression in Cerebral X-linked Adrenoleukodystrophy”. Brain. 2012 Sep;135(Pt9):2676-83.
• Hugh D. Curtin, M.D., Mary Beth Cunnane, M.D., and Amy Juliano, M.D., presented multiple lectures at MRI & CT courses that were held witin the year.
• Hugh D. Curtin, M.D., was a Visiting Professor at Chiang Mai University in Thailand, July 2012.
• Hugh D. Curtin, M.D., was an Invited Guest Speaker at the 8th Asian Oceanian Congress of Neuroradiology (AOCNR), Bangkok, Thailand, Aug. 2012
• Hugh D. Curtin, M.D., was a Visiting Professor at Brown Medical School in Providence, RI, Oct. 2012.
• Hugh D. Curtin, MD, served as Head of the Head and Neck Track of the Refresher Course Committee at the Radiological Society of North America annual meeting, Nov. 2012.
• Mary Beth Cunnane, M.D., served as Clinical Investigator, “Role of non-EPI diffusion weighted imaging in evaluation of cholesteatoma”, in conjunction with Phillips MRI scientists, 2012.
Hugh Curtin, M.D.
Chief of Radiology
Page updated 4/8/13