Remind your sponsors to check with their Human Resources Department where they work to see if they have a matching gift program. A great way to do this is in your fundraising letter and/or email when you ask for a contribution and also in your thank you message after you have received a gift.
About Matching Gifts
Matching gifts are a great way to double your fundraising efforts and increase the impact of your donors' gifts. By taking advantage of a company's matching gift benefit, you may be able to double or even triple the amount of a contribution. If an employee of a company that participates in matching gifts program makes a gift to your fundraising efforts, their company will also "match" their employees' gift to Mass. Eye and Ear (thus doubling your fundraising).
Each company has its own guidelines for employees, spouses, retirees, and widows/widowers.
The company may have certain qualifications for making contributions. Be sure that the company matches gifts to health care institutions and specifically Mass. Eye and Ear. If those qualifications are met, the company will mail a matching gift in directly.
Most corporate procedures are simple:
- After a donation has been made, request a Matching Form from your company's Human Resources Department.
- Complete and submit the form to Mass. Eye and Ear.
- Mass. Eye and Ear will verify the completed form and return it to the company. Once the contribution and form has been verified by Mass. Eye and Ear, the matching gift amount will be added towards your fundraising total. You do not have to wait for Mass. Eye and Ear to receive the company's check.
- You will be emailed by a member of the Mass. Eye and Ear team once your matching gift amount has been counted towards your fundraising total and uploaded to your Crowdrise page.
- The company issues a matching gift contribution to Mass. Eye and Ear. Many times, checks are cut only quarterly.